SCRIBO: An International Composition Contest
SCRIBO is an international Latin composition contest, designed to:
- spur interest and excitement in using Latin for creative writing
- provide teachers with high quality materials in Latin to read in their classes
- honor and recognize top work in Latin creative writing
Students of Latin in any grade, from kindergarten through college, may participate. Entries will be sorted into the following levels, which are based on length of time studying Latin and content of the course: Exploratory, Lower, and Upper. (See the rules for a complete description of these levels.)
Students may submit original short stories, comics, and poems. Illustrations are encouraged but not required for all entries. All entries must have a maximum of 1,000 words and a maximum of ten pages (no larger than 8.5 x 11"). Click here to view sample entries from previous years. All entries must be submitted electronically by the teacher in PDF format via our website. The cost for submitting entries varies by how many students participate:
|Each Student:||$5 (maximum 25 students per school)|
|Discounts||Title-1 Schools (25%)
Teachers Paying Out of Pocket (10%)
Ascanius Members (10%)
Deadlines and Timeline (2014-2015)
|Nov. 3||Registration opens online.|
|Dec. 12||Register your school and each of your students by name. Pay the registration fee (online or by mail).|
|Dec. 23||Entries must be submitted online by this date. You will receive further instructions upon registration.|
|April 22||Awards, results, and CD's should be in the mail to you and your students.|
How do I integrate SCRIBO into my classroom?
SCRIBO is designed to be as flexible as possible so that it will easily integrate into your class. You could offer a contest, assignment, or project from which you choose and submit the best entries. This could be open-ended, connected to a cultural unit, or connected to your text's storyline. Click here to see other teachers' methods for implementing SCRIBO, or to share your own!
What do we get?
- All participants receive a high quality certificate
- The top 20% of scorers on each level receive a medal with ribbon
- Press release and letter to the principal recognizing all medal winners from your school
- Participating teachers and the very best scorers will receive a free CD of the top entries, including multiple entries from each level
- Ability to purchase full-color bound books including the top entries (plus free inclusion in a raffle to win a free copy of this book)
- Knowledge that your school is supporting the mission of Ascanius: The Youth Classics Institute to bring Latin and Classical Studies to our youngest scholars
All entries will be judged by Latin teachers and professors who have training in Latin composition and/or oral Latin, using the following categories: grammatical and syntactical accuracy, choice of vocabulary, quality of work, audience appeal. Entries in the running to be in the top 20% will be scored by at least one additional judge. (Please contact SCRIBO if you would like to apply to serve as a judge.)
If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.